November 17, 2011

11.17.1861 - Ann to JB

Pittsboro NC
November 17th 1861

My Dear Husband It is with pleasure that I embrace this opportunity to answer your kind letter which came to hand Friday evening. It found me and all well except colds and Sally has been sick a week; she is some better today but she is very sick yet. Her baby is dead; it was buried last Thursday evening. It was a beautiful boy but it only came to earth to show her how a flower in Heaven can bloom. Mr. Fick and Fannie was here Friday. He could not get any boots or thick shoes so he went to Mr. Thomas to get some made. He said he could not make them till he got his leather out of tan, and then he would make them as soon as he can and you shall have them. I was glad to get the twenty dollars you send me. I will take as good care of it as I can. I have wanted to take a paper but did not have the money. Father did not leave home as he expected. Mr. Horton heard that his overseer had to go on the court and he wanted Father to go down to his plantation and stay till Christmas, but his overseer was not gone. Old Mr. Woodall is dead. He died last Thursday and his wife is very low.